Corrections Officers within Abbott, they are some of the humans caught in the cataclysm. A number of them can ally with Torque, while others will attack him on sight. Notable COs are listed below. For the most part their fates assume that Torque helps them; though he can choose to kill most of them well before they actually accomplish anything.
The head C.O. is the first able C.O. Torque runs into after leaving his cell on D-block, though he is seen along with many other C.O.s at the docks as Torque and other prisoners arrive. According to surveillance footage, he appears to team up with Torque for a short time. He appears to be killed when he approaches the electric chair room in a freak accident, somehow being electrocuted without coming into contact with live wires.
Hargrave is one of the block captains at Abbot. He assumes control after the chaos, with many of the other C.O.s joining him as he begins executing nearly all inmates he comes into contact with, even seeking them out. As evident from a few cameras that he did not destroy, he, along with several loyal C.O.s, fights Torque at V-Block, first using a Browning M2 from the C.O. station. Then switching to dual revolvers after taking enough damage.
Harley and his FriendEdit
Shortly after entering and leaving the prison for a second time, Torque runs into two guards. Both are (pointlessly) attempting to fend off Festers with Tommy Guns. Harley, the only one identified by name, has gone mad and wants to kill the monsters, while his unnamed partner is constantly trying to drag him back to relative safety. If Torque kills the Festers and protects the guards, he thanks Torque for the assistance (good action). Their fate is unknown, though they were last seen holed up in the base of one of the towers.
Miles is an African-American C.O. often charged with the duty of overseeing the transport of prisoners from the ferry to the bus. His current whereabouts are unknown. He favors the Shotgun
Ernesto Alvarez is a C.O. of Latino (possibly Cuban) decent. He often assists Cash in escorting inmates to their cells. After the Cataclysm, he spends a considerable amount of energy trying to find his way back to town to see his wife and kids. It is not known for sure, but it is assumed that the inmate Torque was instrumental in assisting him. His current whereabouts are unknown. He favors the Tommy Gun
Hawks is an Australian born C.O. who is seen very little on surveillance videos after the cataclysm. However, he is heard many times giving updates and calling for assistance. His current whereabouts are unknown.
Cash is known to drive the ferry from Maryland to Carnate and is often in charge of escorting new inmates to their sells.
Other CO appearancesEdit
- In the beginning of Chapter 1 of the game, a CO tells Torque to remain in his cell, before being killed by a Slayer. A susequent CO is also killed in a similar manner.
- Frequently at the start of the game, video monitors show COs in combat with Slayers, in which they are killed shortly after.
- In Chapter 2, a CO is executed in the manner of a firing squad by a Marksmen.
- Outside the prison, COs can be seen manning watchtower spotlights in order to locate and kill the monsters. They shoot at Torque at one point on assuming he is a monster himself.
- Upon entering the prison after this, a guard can be heard over the intercom expressing the hopelessness of his situation, before ending the transmission with a gunshot. This implies that he committed suicide.
- When Torque escapes the prison after meeting Luther, a trio of guards can be overheard resting below a tree near the graveyard. They will be heard expressing their disgust for both the inmates and Hargave, and upon seeing an armed Torque will begin to attack him. Following this, Slayers will appear and attack both COs and Torque.
- In the quarry, a radio can be seen on the floor, where the player can humorously overhear two COs arguing about their situation.
- Further in the quarry, a trio of COs can be seen endlessly fighting Slayers. They will all die upon Torque covering up the spawning hole with a dropped boulder.
- Returning to the prison, a guard can be seen manning a turret, but to no avail as the approaching Fester cannot be harmed in this way. He is killed shortly after by a Marksmen's gunfire.
|Main characters:||Torque | Carmen | Cory | Malcolm | The Creature|
|Bosses:||Dr. Killjoy | Horace | Hermes | Torque's Hatred|
|Malefactors:||Slayer | Marksman | Mainliner | Nooseman | Burrower | Fester | Festering Rats | Inferna|
|Other Characters:||Ernesto | Dallas | Luther | Sergei | Clem | Hawks | Consuela Alvarez | Hargrave | C.O.'s | Inmates|
|Locations:||Carnate Island | Abbott State Penitentiary | Fort Maleson | Slave Shipwreck | The Asylum | The Quarry|
|Weapons:||Shiv | Revolver | Tommy Gun | Shotgun | Fire Axe | Flamethrower | Gonzo Gun | Browning M2 Turret|
|Explosives:||Molotov Cocktails | Flash-Bang Grenades | TNT | Shrapnel Grenades|
|See also:||List of Good/Evil actions possible in The Suffering|